The festival showcases 25 contemporary European films from Austria, the Wallonia-Brussels and Flanders regions of Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Disappearing Act IV European film festival in New York presents films in three venues with an opening night event at the IFC Center on Wednesday, April 11; two days of screenings at Tinker Auditorium at the French Institute Alliance Francaise (FIAF) on Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14; and in the digital cinema at Bohemian National Hall, from April 12-22.
Disappearing Act IV : European Contemporary Cinema at U.S. Universities
PANEL DISCUSSION (10 April 2012)
As every year, the Disappearing Act program includes a panel discussion about presence of contemporary European films on U.S. screens.
The discussion will relate to all venues available for European cinema’s presence at universities, not only in university courses, but also through screening series organized by students and film societies functioning at universities; visiting filmmakers, and support provided to universities by various institutions. The festival this year also opens itself as an educational resource providing an opportunity to students of New York University’s cinema studies program to introduce several films and they will be present to share their experience.With : Julia Solomonoff (Director and producer, teaching Film Direction at Columbia University’s Film Department), Anne Kern (Assistant Professor of Cinema Studies, SUNY Purchase), and Richard Suchensky (Assistant Professor of Film and Electronic Arts, Bard College)
* * *
The previous panel discussions were videotaped and are available online:
- Disappearing Act I : EUROPEAN CINEMA FROM NEW WAVE TO NEW WAVE (17 April 2009) 1h16'
- Disappearing Act II : THE NEW WORLD OF DISTRIBUTION FOR SUBTITLED FILMS (12 April 2010) 1h26'
- Disappearing Act III : SUBTITLED CINEMA INITIATIVE (11 April 2011) 1h12'
- Disappearing Act IV : video coming online soon hopefully...
- Owing a Debt to Europe’s Woes (Larry Rohter; NYT; 9 April 2012)
- Fit in to get distributed in the USA / Theatrical Distribution Without Distributors (Tugg.com) / Dissecting American Distribution
- USA quarantine year's best films / October 2011 releases USA / Reluctant Distribution of Foreign Films in the USA (The Artist) / Reluctant Distribution of Foreign Films in the USA (A Separation) / USA imports of Foreign Films 1913-1925 / Distribution by nationality (USA-EU27 2009) / Slow release / Weak's cutoff
- The myth of an arthouse circuit in the USA / Assumed Obscurity in "art cinema" (USA)
- Alternative Distribution Panel (Tribeca panel; 2011) video 1h18'